The whole Office365 thing can be useful if you can navigate the mess of Microsoft’s websites, licensing and broken links! I recently found upgrading to a VLK of Office was too much of a hassle with the customers having Office365 mail already we decided to try out the new Office ProPlus subscriptions with Shared Computer Licensing for RDS. This means using the Office Deployment Tool and a configuration.xml file plus a few basic commands. Here’s how.
- First download the Office Deployment Tool from Microsoft. Available here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36778
- Run the downloaded file and select a location to extract it’s contents to. I created a folder in the C drive called OfficeDeployment (C:\OfficeDeployment\)
- Next open up your OfficeDeployment folder and then open up the configuration.xml file in a notepad. In here we will configure the settings for the deployment of Office365 ProPlus into SharedComputerLicensing mode. Below is the configuration I used.
<Add SourcePath=”C:\OfficeDeployment\” OfficeClientEdition=”32″ >
<Language ID=”en-us” />
<Updates Enabled=”TRUE” UpdatePath=”C:\OfficeDeployment\” />
<Display Level=”None” AcceptEULA=”TRUE” />
<Logging Path=”%temp%” />
<Property Name=”SharedComputerLicensing” Value=”1″ />
4. Now we need to open up a command window, hold the windows key and press r then in the run window that opens type cmd and press enter.
5. From within the command window we need to use the setup.exe file and the configuration.xml file to download the office deployment. Use the command below.
> setup.exe /download configuration.xml
Be patient it can download a fair whack (over 1GB) to a folder within your C:\OfficeDeployment\ folder, can take a while and will jump back to a fresh line when done.
6. Once finished we can run the sale setup.exe file with the /configure command as per below
> setup.exe /configure configuration.xml
This will continue the installation based on our configuration.xml once complete you can then allow users to log into office in their RDS user profile using their Office365 user credentials and if their subscription allows it, it will activate them.